Thursday, March 5, 2009

Do you see what I see?

Safety Tidbits – Thousands of work-related eye injuries occur every day in the U.S (more than 2000, daily). Ten to twenty percent of these injuries result in temporary or permanent blindness. WHY? Workers not wearing PPE; not using PPE properly; or taking risks they don’t need to take. The cost to U.S. companies is over $350 million; but the cost to the injured could be a Lifetime of DARKNESS!
Work Smart/Work Safe! -Source: Prevent Blindness America

Typical excuses:
‘These safety glasses are a waste; they’re always fogging up?’

‘Goggles are too hot!’

‘It’ll just take a second to tack this down – I don’t need a welding hood for that.’

‘It’s dark in here and I can’t see with my safety glasses on.’

‘It’s a cutting torch…safety glasses are good enough for cutting these bolts off.’

‘You don’t need safety glasses with a face shield.’


Off the job excuses…
‘I’m just trimming weeds!’

‘I’ve never warn safety glasses fixing fence before.’

‘Safety glasses... for woodwork? Come on!’


Wear your PPE (all of it!); Inspect it Daily; Store it Properly! Make sure you have what you need to do the job safely. Do you see what I see? Eyes…they’re worth hanging on to.

The world is a beautiful place… I just spent 6 hours on the Pacific Coast Highway, BEAUTIFUL! I love this country…there is so much to SEE! Wear your safety glasses/goggles/face shield, etc. and SEE the FUTURE!


The rest of the story (with apologies to the late Paul Harvey)…of the 2,000 plus eye injuries that occur every day (three quarters of a million Eye Injuries annually) 90%...ninety percent could be prevented with the proper PPE. The Choice is yours… Choose wisely.

And Watch out for co-workers too! Speak Up when you see someone committing an unsafe act. Make it a Safe Day!

2 comments:

R. Keith Murphree said...

I really enjoy your Safety Tidbits page. I haven't seen a recent one for the month of April. What's up?

Anonymous said...

Wayne has been to a few locations and working on a project consuming his time. It's on it's way.