Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Family Protection

Week 3 – Hazards are everywhere and you paying attention!?
Now I don’t want to pick on China, but man are they sending us junk or what? Toys painted with lead based paint; Aqua-dots (toy beads) coated with GHB the ‘date rape drug’; tainted pet foods, fake drugs; toxin-laced cosmetics; pesticide-laden mushrooms; poisoned toothpaste; tainted wheat; fake GFI outlets that snap and make you think they work, etc., etc. And it’s not just China…there seems to be no shortage of junk on the market. The safety and welling-being of our friends and families is important to each of us and that is the focus of this week’s Tidbits!
After reading about all the recalls, I am glad that we have the CPSC, but can they catch everything? Probably not, but the Consumer Products Safety Commission is looking out for you whether you realize it or not. The problem is most people are not really paying attention…are you? I know I am guilty of letting my guard down.

I met with an insurance representative recently and he mentioned the fake Square D circuit breakers that are on the market and it scared the heck out of me! That got me thinking about all the issues with products imported from China recently, so I hit the web.
WOW! What an education I received. First I printed 2 pages of products recalled this month alone (yes, January 2008). Next, I printed out the December recalls and almost needed another ink cartridge for those 7 pages. Then I printed out just the toy recalls and guess what 12 pages. Twelve pages of toy recalls (45 entries per page) can you believe it? If you have children or grandkids check this out. The list includes items like strollers and teething rings, magnetic toys, dolls, flashlights, toy rakes, bath toys, LEGO sets, wooden wagons and many more.
Finally, I went to the Sports and Recreation section and Surprise -- Another 10 pages of items like (GFCI circuit breakers, tree stands/tree seats, ATVs, snow mobiles, bicycles, bike helmets, chin straps for football helmets, model rockets, batting tees, aluminum bats, fireworks, camping stoves, exercise machines, treadmills, basketball hoops, safety-toe hiking boots; air rifles, pellet pistols, BB pistols, gun locks, hand gun holsters, propane heaters, etc.). There were other options to click on but you get the picture!

Safety…is it everywhere you want to be? The more you know the better off you are. Check the site and see if you have any items on the list before someone you know and love gets hurt!

Learn more at www.cpscgov. I was amazed by all the products that have been recalled and still have to review the rest of the list to see how many of these products I actually own. Keeping the family safe is a tough job; hopefully this will make the job a little easier. Stay informed and Be Safe Out There!

Get a handle on Safety...It's your grip on Life!

No comments: